Saturday, May 3, 2008

Pasadena to Venice

After yesterday's grueling ride up in the mountains I didn't even think I'd be able to sit on a bike, let alone pedal one inch on one today, but amazingly enough I felt rejuvenated when I woke up this morning. I also really wanted to go riding again, but this ride would be on my fixed gear instead of my mountain bike. I had planned to try to ride from Pasadena to Venice Beach with MM3 but he wasn't feeling up to it. After a little debate in my mind I decided to make an innogural solo attempt at it, but didn't really think it would be possible since my legs would probably be fried. I got the Gangster out of the garage and set out with the idea that I would burn out and give up somewhere around Highland Park or Chinatown at the very best, and wind up taking the Metro Rail back home. Sometime between 11:30 and 12:00 I embarked on my trip and was in Downtown within a half hour or so (I was making great time!). I was shocked since I not only felt fine, but felt great, almost as if I hadn't done anything the day before. I caught a second wind of sorts and decided once and for all to go for it. It was very strange feeling riding through Korea Town and Mid City and then the lower part of Hollywood and Little Ethiopia before I got to Venice Blvd. Usually I'm only on those roads when Im going to and from work and am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, but now i was jamming around pedaling as fast as I could and having a blast. Finally I got to the corner of Venice Blvd. and Fairfax and headed due West for Venice. Unfortunately there was a horrendous headwind blasting me full force so this part of the ride got to be really tiring. In a few minutes I saw the Helm's Bakery and knew I was almost there. At long last in a little over 2 hours and 22+ miles later I arrived at Venice High School safe and sound and found my lady (who was running a Saturday Detention Program). She couldn't believe I had made it there so fast. We left about a half hour later after relaxing by the football field and watching student's pick up trash and headed over to California Chicken Cafe for one of the best meals I've ever had. What a great day...

No comments: