Sunday, February 15, 2009

Echo Mountain Trail

It had been a while since my last hike (usually I'm mountain biking), so this weekend a friend and I decided to take advantage of the small window of good weather that we got on Saturday morning. Since I live in such close proximity to the San Gabriel mountains there are a ton of different hikes available depending on what you are in the mood for. We only had a few hours of daylight and sunshine available according to the weather report, so we decided on a fairly easy 5 mile round tripper to the ruins of Echo Mountain. This is a pretty cool hike that takes you to the foundation of an old Lodge that burned to the ground some time in the 20's. Once you get up there it feels like you are in the ruins of a castle, since there are steps that lead to nowhere, big concrete slabs and pillars scattered about, and a huge concrete well that had a bunch of junk at the bottom of it. This is actually one of my favorite hikes to do, but unfortunately I always stop at the ruins and never take it to the next level, which would be the hike to Inspiration Point. Maybe sometime soon I'll try that one...
Aerial Picture Compliments Of Google Maps
Look At Me Ma!... I'm On Top Of The World
Yeah That's Also Me
Choadie Swanson

No comments: